Freeze protection is a feature included with AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital DIG-220 and AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital 75003 control units. The feature will turn the pool pump on when water drops below 40°F if the Pool Pilot control is properly configured to control the pool pump. This feature is for one-speed pool pumps and does not apply to two-speed or variable speed pool pumps.
This feature can reduce the possibility of freeze damage to the pump, filter, and pipes in milder climates where freezing weather is not typically expected. There is no warranty or guarantee of this feature. It is still always very important to take any and all precautions to ensure that freeze damage does not occur.
The Pool Pilot freeze protection feature will NOT work properly unless all of the following conditions are met:
- The Pool Pilot must be powered continuously. An external switch or timer should not be used to turn off the Pool Pilot power during the freezing weather.
- The Pool Pilot must control the power to the circulation pump.
- DIG-220 Models: The Pool Pilot “Pump Control” must be programmed for one-speed pump. When the tri-sensor indicates that the water temperature is below 38°F, the control unit will override the normal timed program cycle and run the pump 30 minutes minimum or continuously while the water temperature is below 38°F.
- 75003 Models: The Pool Pilot “Set Relay 1” must be programmed for one-speed pump and the circulation pump must be wired to relay 1.
- When the Tri-sensor indicates that water temperature is below 38°F, the control unit will override the normal timed program cycle and run the pump 30 minutes minimum or continuously while the water temperature is below 38°F.
- The Pool Pilot uses a temperature sensor located in the AutoPilot Pool Pilot tri-sensor assembly to determine water temperature. If the AutoPilot Pool Pilot tri-sensor is located so that it cannot accurately detect the cold water, then the freeze protection becomes ineffective. (For example, if the AutoPilot Pool Pilot tri-sensor is located inside a protected or warm location and the other pool components are located in an unprotected area, the other pool components could freeze before the tri-sensor detects the cold water.)